1st March - 31st May 2017
COLLECTION OF IDEAS
The participants can choose either one of the two categories for competition. Submissions will be accepted in the following formats:
- Creative Ideas: The formats could be synopsis, scripts, storyboards, comics or drawings. You can pick one of them to express your cinematic ideas creatively.
- Short Films: You can submit a short film to present your cinematic skills and ideas.
*Note: A film is considered a Short if it is 40 minutes or less.
The first selection results will be published on APP Film Festival‘s website at 15th June. The nominees will receive the provided funds in supporting the filming project in next stage.
16th June - 31st August 2017
During this period, the nominees will receive funds and other support from the festival in producing a feature-length film based on the previous submission. The finished feature films will enter into the second selection process.
*Note: Only low budget films will be considered.
1st September - 31st December 2017
COLLECTION OF FEATURE LENGTH FILMS
The festival will open for feature-length films submissions at this stage. The previous participants who will have finished their films with provided funds will enter into this stage automatically.
*Note: A film is considered as a Feature Film if it is 41 minutes or more.
1st January - 28th February 2018
A panel of film professionals will select a few winners from the submissions.
1st March – 30th April 2018
THE FESTIVAL CEREMONY
The winner films will be screened and be awarded at the ceremony. The inaugural event will take place in Melbourne.
May 2018 – Future
Future Web Series and Feature Films Project
This project will be exclusive to winners at the festival, who will be given opportunities in developing web series and feature films in the future, with capital guarantee.
To be eligible for consideration, all Films must meet the following requirements:
- The Film has been completed after 1 January 2015.
- The Film has not and will not be screened in the state of Victoria, Australia, in any form or duration prior to 31 April 2018. This includes television and internet broadcasting. The only exceptions to this requirement are for private cast and crew screenings, and film school graduation screenings.
- The Film is in English or Chinese, with English or Chinese subtitles if the original language is not either of these two.
Submissions are accepted only through Film Freeway at the following website:
You shall be required to have a registered account with Film Freeway to submit the Film.
Submission Deadlines & Fees
Please note that:
- Multiple entries are allowed, but you have to pay for each of them. Entries will not be processed without entry fee payment.
- All submissions are final. No refunds are provided.
- If the name of the cardholder is different from the submitter, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your payment information as well as the name of your work.
Please pay the entry fee via the Festival's official website, which is:
If the Film is selected to screen at the 2018 Ceremony, it must be available in one of the following formats:
- DCP (DCI Compliant)
All digital files for invited Films that will be screened at the Ceremony must be sent as unlocked DCPs.
The Festival will have the right in its sole discretion to schedule any number of screenings of any submitted Films, at its discretion.